University Crest

[wlug] Mailing list etiquette (was Re: Sudo)

Orion Edwards orion@c...
Tue Apr 5 13:52:20 NZST 2005

<everyone posted loads of crap>

Basically my issue with HTML email is not a technical one but a social one. The
intent of a webpage (in my opinion, feel free to not agree) is to convey rich
media, filled with images and tables and formatting and that kind of crap. A
web page is trying to show off.

An email however, is a message from one person to another. There's no reason
that you can't write plain text emails and not convey everything you want.
Perhaps you want a diagram but that's what attachments are for. My personal
view of email analagous to ICQ/MSN messenger/etc. Do you think people should be
allowed to send HTML messages via MSN? I'd hope not. If so then why emails?