University Crest

[wlug] SMB question

Raymond Burgess raymond@d...
Tue Apr 5 15:57:51 NZST 2005

I am running a machine with RH 7.1, samba-2.0.10

I moving some large files from a Windows XP machine to the large amount
of diskspace that is available ont he Linux machine.

Files that are larger than 4GB fail to copy.  Once the progress reaches
4GB windows prompts you if you wish to overright the exisiting file.

I am already planning on installing a newer release on the linux box,
probably Fedora Code 3 (or 4, as It will probably be out by the time I
get around to it).

I would like to know if any of you have successfully copied files larger
than 4GB from a Windows machine to a recent build on samba.  I'm not
sure if it's Samba, Windows XP or the SMB protocol that is limited at
4GB.  I realy don't care either, but I would like to know if this will
work, it might motivate me to upgrade a little faster ;-)

Anyone with FC3 able to confirm that this has worked.

Raymond