University Crest

[wlug] SMB question

Perry Lorier perry@c...
Tue Apr 5 16:57:36 NZST 2005

James Clark wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:57:51PM +1000, Raymond Burgess wrote:
>
>>I would like to know if any of you have successfully copied files larger
>>than 4GB from a Windows machine to a recent build on samba.  I'm not
>>sure if it's Samba, Windows XP or the SMB protocol that is limited at
>>4GB.  I realy don't care either, but I would like to know if this will
>>work, it might motivate me to upgrade a little faster ;-)
>

> It's probably due to an old kernel causing the file size limit.

I doubt FC3 is running a kernel that old (2.2.x?!), and the Linux
filesystem limit was 2G, not 4G, as Linux uses off_t which because of
llseek() requirements needs to be signed thus making it 2G.  Windows
doesn't use llseek() the same way, and thus they are limited to 4G.

I'd suggest that this is somewhere in the SMB protocol, Windows, or
samba's implementation of the SMB protocol.