University Crest

[wlug] SMB question

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Tue Apr 5 20:50:05 NZST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 13:57 +1000, Raymond Burgess wrote:
> I am running a machine with RH 7.1, samba-2.0.10

And I thought hostility was old running 7.3 ;)

> Files that are larger than 4GB fail to copy.  Once the progress reaches
> 4GB windows prompts you if you wish to overright the exisiting file.

> I would like to know if any of you have successfully copied files larger
> than 4GB from a Windows machine to a recent build on samba.  I'm not
> sure if it's Samba, Windows XP or the SMB protocol that is limited at
> 4GB.  I realy don't care either, but I would like to know if this will
> work, it might motivate me to upgrade a little faster ;-)

I've had the same problem before.  I believe it is Samba that is at
fault.  Ext3 can support files larger than 2GB.  I think it can do files
up to several terabytes in size.  And NTFS certainly can do huge files.
Samba 2.x seems to be using 32 bit file offsets though.  Which sucks.
Use RAR to split the file on the Windows XP box (use a target file on
the Linux box if there is no room on the XP machine for the RARs.  Then
unrar it on the Linux box.  If you have Cygwin installed you can use
split to do the same job.

But then you new this already. :)

                   Oliver Jones » Roving Code Warrior