University Crest

[wlug] A significant Press Release

John R. McPherson jrm21@c...
Wed Apr 6 15:23:12 NZST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 14:55 +1200, zcat wrote:

> Also it claims utf-8 but uses Windows-1252, and we all know who's
> authoring tools do THAT.
>
> Am I allowed to mention this at the May meeting? Please?

This a bit of a pet peeve of mine, especially since it means that lots
of " and ` ' characters ("smart quotes") get rendered incorrectly. But
users of those tools don't know that the tools are (deliberately) doing
something that will work on windows PCs and not others. I'm sure if you
politely point it out and explain that it is done deliberately, you
might educate end users.

But even many linux geeks will glaze over and ignore you if you start
talking about character sets... people don't care - if it looks right
for them, they assume it will look right for you.

In this particular case, the problem is that neither the IIS web server
nor the page specify a character encoding, so it's up to your browser's
default. But I doubt Nandor has any control over the webserver.

John