University Crest

[wlug] Creating PDFs - was Significant Press Release

Graham yorick@x...
Fri Apr 8 13:54:59 NZST 2005

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 18:42:50 +1200
> From: Oliver Jones <oliver@d...>
> Subject: Re: [wlug] A significant Press Release
> To: Waikato Linux Users Group <wlug@l...>
>

>> This is a department dependent issue. In CS as many staff and
>> students use
>> a selection of Linux, Windows and MacOS X so most staff encourage
>> students
>> to submit in .pdf, .html or plain text. If staff in a given department
>> only have access to a windows PC and students are only provided a
>> windows
>> lab, then the school may well require submissions in an Office format.
>

> Then install PDF Creator (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/)
> on those machines.  It's a Open Source and very useful PDF generator
> (acts as a Windows Printer).  It is basically a thin-ish wrapper around
> Ghostscript.
>

>>> These are pet peeves of mine, as my missus can't drop IE/Windows
>>> completely since she still needs them to do University work.
>>

> Regards
> --
>                   Oliver Jones » Roving Code Warrior

A simple solution is to install OpenOffice.org.  Then she can export to
PDF or save in .doc for those that are still clinging to the sinking ship.

My lecturers insist that assignments be presented in Word format.
They may have some idea that it is all produced in OOo... Oh yes, they
do, because I told them.  ;)
OpenOffice.org 2.0 will be out in a month or so or you can download the
Beta from http://download.openoffice.org/2.0beta/index.html
Cheers
Yo

Statement of Interest: There is some truth in the rumour that I am the
New Zealand
Marketing Contact for OpenOffice.org

And yes I hope OpenOffice.org will be welcome at the installfest even if
this writer runs his OOo 1.9.87 on SuSE 9.2  ;)
(Though in my defense I will add that I have 1.1.2 running on a Warty
Warthog box)