University Crest

[wlug] GNOME's PPP dialer (was: installfest announcement)

Craig Box craig@d...
Fri Apr 8 09:27:50 NZST 2005

>>  no KDE,
> I guess this is personal preference, but as has already been
> mentioned, Kubuntu for people that ask for it will probably be
> provided

Please note people will need to ask for it -beforehand-.

Canonical have just contacted me and will be express shipping me Hoary CDs.
They don't appear to do Kubuntu, so we will have to prepare those ourselves.

We have no objection to people turning up and being the
Slackware/Mandrake/whatever gurus.  I'm just saying that most of us aren't
in that position, so we have picked a default that suits us.  If there is a
need identified for lots of Slackware help, we'll definitely be asking for
people to come and help in that specific role.

>> and WVdial is hopeless.
> I have heard stories about dialup in warty being very hard to
> configure, in most cases it was easier to manually set up ppp from a
> terminal. However, one would hope that that it has received some
> attention in hoary and is just as easy to use as the rest of the
> system

Check out http://www.wlug.org.nz/archive/images/gnomeppp-screenshot.png - I
hope this meets all of Denise's requirements of easy to use.

Craig