University Crest

[wlug] GNOME's PPP dialer

Craig Box craig@d...
Fri Apr 8 10:37:48 NZST 2005

Bnonn wrote:
> I'd like to ask, because the wiki entry doesn't mention it: what sort
> of level of expertise is expected/required of those who are helping? I
> don't consider myself a "power user" in Linux in the way that I think
> many of you are: I can't write my own code, and my ability to fix
> problems is limited, often, by how well I can use google. However, I
> have been using Ubuntu for quite a while, and Linux in general for
> some time before that, and feel relatively comfortable with it. I
> would be very happy to help out IF my level of expertise is
> considered high enough; I'm just not sure it will be :)

If you think you're ready, you're ready.  Most of what's required to get an
install up will be procedurised, ie we will be working on a checklist that
says "To get X in Ubuntu, you run synaptic and Y".  (Last year we had to
keep getting the one person who knew something really well to come and do
it; this year we'll just get them to brain dump beforehand!)  The general
questions that people will ask are probably "you've used Linux for a while,
what do you think?", and it sounds like you'd be fine at answering them.  If
you need someone else, you can always ask them to come over and help.

> I admin Windows at work, and feel pretty confident in that

Excellent.  Why do I have an 'aspnet' directory under a user profile with an
entire other user profile in it, and why can't I synch that profile because
the aspnet\ntuser.dat is still open when the user logs off? ;)

Craig