Fri Apr 8 11:29:35 NZST 2005
> Yah, I know that coding ability isn't mandatory. It's just tricky
> gauging my own knowledge and ability against others when I don't really
> personally know any other Linux users :) I admin Windows at work, and
> feel pretty confident in that, but computers are such that the more you
> know, the more you know that you know damn all.
> Still, I have no problem with taking risks. And I'm learning to take
> notes :D
Isomer's power user test:
If you can answer all of these questions you truely have guru status.
If you can answer more than about 5 or so, you are definately a power user.
If you can answer any, you're doing well.
Google, manpages and any other reference source is encouraged.
* Why has the writing been worn off my tab key? what am I using it for?
* What's a netmask? What is the netmask for a /23? What happens if you
have the wrong netmask?
* A service has died, you've fixed it and need to restart it, how would
you go about doing so?
* What does it mean if my computer boots up and says "L" then stops?
What's wrong? How would you fix it?
* Can you compile your own kernel? Does anyone really know what MTRR
is? does anyone care?
* What is ldconfig, and when would you use it? what happens if you
forget to run it?
* lost+found directories are scattered around the filesystem, what is
their purpose? Can they just be removed? Are there any side effects to
* emacs or vi?
* What process has pid 1, why is this process important? Where would
you configure this process? What happens if this process goes away?
* Do you know what these tools are used for?
* do you know how to use /sbin/fdisk? do you use cfdisk anyway?
* How do killall and killall5 differ? Have you ever got them confused?
Is this bad? Were you fired?
* Do you run screaming at the word PCMCIA? How would you configure a
PCMCIA wireless card? a PCMCIA GPS? a PCMCIA flux capacitor?
* Running most programs elicits the error "Read only filesystem", what
may have caused this? How would you resolve it?
* how would you tell if a machine is running debian, redhat, gentoo, or
* what would you do to get a program run on stup?
* What kind of files would you expect to find in /usr/share/zoneinfo,
are these files important? what would happen if they were removed?
* I'm installing a package the depends on portmap, what is it that I'm
likely to be installing? is portmap important? how would I diagnose
issues with portmap?
* How do I determine what ports are open on my machine? How can I tell
what ports to close? Name at least two ways to "close" ports from the
* How do I list all the hidden files in a directory?
* What does "#!/bin/sh" mean, why is it important?
* If I had permissions "rwxr-xr-x perry fooers" who could do what?
What type of file is this likely to be? What about if the permissions
* Whats the difference between bash and xterm?
* How do I determine if swap is enabled? How would I disable it?
* How many primary partitions can you have on a normal x86 box? How
would you get around this?
* I have a /boot partition, how big should this be? Is there anything
special about how this partition is layed out on disk?
* fsck says "Deleted inode has zero dtime" what has happened to my disk?
am I going to have to reinstall?
* I've forgotten my root password, what can I do about this?
* depmod complains about unresolved symbols? How would you resolve this
* what is important about "."'s at the beginning of a filename? What
sort of files would be named like this?
* I have a file with a charactor I can't type in it, how would I delete
it from the cli?
* Linux boots and then says it can't start my X server, what does this
mean? how would I fix this?
* I want to have a program run every day at 3am, how would I do this?
* What are the best ways of determining what hardware is in my machine?
* Have you written any wiki pages?
* ls segfaults when run, how can I tell what files are in the current
directory without using X?
* What is a window manager? What happens if I don't have one?
* What's this lpd thing running? Why would I want it? Where is it's
configuration usually stored? How would I submit files to it?
* Every time I type an "s" in X I get a "z" on the screen, whats wrong?
how would I fix this?
* X needs a driver on a CD I have to run, how would I get that driver
onto the machine?
* How do I list all the rpm's installed on a machine? How do I list all
the .debs installed on a machine?
* click to focus? sloppy focus? or focus follows the mouse? Discuss.
* I have a .tar.gz file that contains the source to a program I want to
install, how would I compile and install it?
* The above program fails while installing saying "checking for
zlib.h... failed" what do I do now?
* Should I install it in ~, /usr, /var/tmp, /opt, "/Program
files/Perry's cool program" or /usr/local, discuss.
* I have a daemon that isn't working, what would the first thing I do be?
* I have a program running on port 23/tcp open, is this a problem?
* what's /dev/ttyS0 likely to be? I sent "AT\n" to it, and it said
something back that made me happy, what did it say?
* How would I set up IP masquerading?
* what's /etc/issue used for? why is it different to /etc/motd? Can I
arbitarily edit either file?
* eth0 has an IP address of 127.255.255.255, name two problems with this
address being used on eth0.
* Explain the difference between an oops and a panic.
* I have an internal network, what IP address(es) can I use for my
machines? what addresses shouldn't I use?
* I use ihug for dialup internet, how would I set this up?
* Whenever I try and use the internet it says "Unknown host", I can ping
machines by IP address, whats probably wrong? what config file(s) would
I check? How would I fix this?
* I have no default route, how do I add a new one without rebooting? If
I know my IP and netmask, at a guess what should I set the default
* What is 0x20 in decimal? binary? octal? does anyone care?
* /proc/interrupts is showing a lot of interrupts on IRQ 0, is this
something I should be worried about?
* inetd is a cool program, what does it do? What happens if it's not
* I'm at an Installfest, and I have a problem I can't solve, what should
* What's NAT? Why is it evil?
* I installed a new kernel and now my computer panics during boot, what
should I do?
* If you had a computer that had all the problems outlined above, would
you switch to macos?
If you want to discuss your answers to questions please reply to me *OFF
LIST* so that other people have a chance to think about them without the
answers being given away.
More information about the wlug
NOTICE: This is an archive of a public mailing list. The University of Waikato is not responsible for its contents.