University Crest

[wlug] Top posting

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Fri Apr 8 15:07:17 NZST 2005

> Could someone explain why top-posting is bad? I've been doing it all
> along and only now had anyone comment. Perhaps you should have some kind
> of article called "READ THIS BEFORE POSTING TO THE LIST LEST DANIEL RIP
> YOUR BALLS OFF".

Ol' Danny is getting grouchy in his old age. ;)

> If I'd bottom-posted on that last message I sent, no would probably
> probably have noticed I wrote anything. What's wrong with having a
> descending chronological order? Does it bung up someone's fifteen year
> old mail reader again? Is it a problem for the digest?

I too have gotten used to top posting.  I do it all the time in email.
Just laziness really.   Also editing HTML mail to intersperse quotes can
be annoying.  Top posting and interspersed quoting is really just a
personal style thing.

The only time I think interspersed quote is better than top posting is
if you want to really draw attention to which points you are responding
to.  Other than that you should be smart enough and have a good enough
memory to remember what a discussion is about and not have to
intersperse your quotes.

                   Oliver Jones » Roving Code Warrior