University Crest

[wlug] Top posting

Matt Brown matt@m...
Fri Apr 8 16:27:45 NZST 2005

Hi David, and others.

I'll refer to this paragraph in a minute.

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 16:04 +1200, David Nicholls wrote:

> Interestingly enough, I was just doing some goooooooooooooooooogle
> research (cheers greig!), and came across a reasonably old netiqette
> article which seemed to indicate that both top *and* bottom posting were
> acceptable so long as it was clear what you were quoting and you - as
> someone else put it - didn't quote an entire email (just enough to get
> the idea/topic).  And of course interspersed is fine too.

To me, "top posting" implies that you replied to a message and the
*only* place where you typed text was at the very top. If you've
replied, made some initial general comments, and then gone on to point
out some more specific things during the body of the message it's not
top posting in my book.

I don't think anyone is saying that you can't put comments at the very
top of your email, (like the paragraph I included above to prove this
point).

Matt Brown
matt@m...
Mob +64 275 611 544 www.mattb.net.nz