University Crest

[wlug] Joining split avi files.

zcat zcat@m...
Sat Apr 9 15:57:05 NZST 2005

Oliver Jones wrote:

>Howdy folks.
>
>Linux to the rescue yet again.  I needed to join some avi files
>together, end on end.  I did a Google and found lots of
>shareware/download-ware utilities for Windows for doing the job.  All
>wanted money.  Of course I thought, "This is dumb.  There has to be a
>Linux command-line tool for this."  One of the Google results mentioned
>avicat on Linux.  Part of Mplayer's transcode suite.  I knew I had
>transcode installed but avicat didn't exist.  So I went, "$
>avi<tab><tab>" and lo and behold the command avimerge appeared and
>looked promising.  After a quite man read it became clear that this was
>exactly what I wanted and I set about "fixing" my avi files.  Hurrah!

And if you were using windows virtualdub (http://www.virtualdub.org/)
is probably the best tool for the job.

--
On June 1, 2001, Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft, told the Chicago Sun-Times: "Linux is cancer."
Unsurprisingly that's incorrect; LINUX was released on August 25th 1991 and is therefore a Virgo.