University Crest

[wlug] Top posting

Orion Edwards orion@c...
Sat Apr 9 18:44:04 NZST 2005

> From: Bnonn [mailto:bnonn@o...]
>
> For what it's worth, I agree, but you will find that the acceptable use
> policy of the list has been updated to include no html email, and no top
> posting, so there you have it :)

IMHO it's far far too easy to miss what people are saying in an
interspersed email, as simply having > in front of a line isn't really
sufficient to distinguish it easily. And by easily I mean 'I can tell
the difference from a 1 second glance across the room' - which is about
the amount of attention a lot of people including myself pay to most
list emails.
Top posting is (for me) easier to read. You read the first x lines and
if it doesn't make sense (which only happens maybe once in 50 times, as
you've just read the parent email sepearately anyway) you scroll down
and read the rest, rather than wading through the interspersedness for
every single damn mail.

Now sure, some mail clients (like thunderbird right now) display >'ed
lines in a different color, but this doesn't always work - and many
other clients don't even attempt it. The only way to reliably get
interspersed-coloring to work properly is to have a magical mail client,
or use HTML email.
By simple application of logic I arrive at the conclusion that the list
rules are forcing people into doing something which is obviously not the
best option (for me anyway, but I'd be surprised if I was alone in this).

Disclaimer:
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS MY OPINION. YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE. DON'T BITCH AT
ME BECAUSE I SAID WHAT I THINK.

:-)