University Crest

[wlug] PCI Hardware Database

Perry Lorier perry@c...
Sun Apr 10 14:11:21 NZST 2005

In preparation for the WLUG Installfest, I've written up a quick hack to
help people identify hardware, what drivers they need, where they can
get those drivers and any quirks that the hardware may have (eg,
defaulting to the internal connector rather than the external one,
needing firmware to be flash upgraded before use, limitations of the
device that may not be apparent initially etc).

For example:
 http://www.wlug.org.nz/~perry/pci/?id=0200:10ec:8139:10ec:8139

What I'd really like is for people on this list to run a small shell
script that looks at the hardware in their machine, and produces links
to the hardware database.  After following those links you'll be
presented with a web page with the information known about that device,
and the ability to leave some notes about that piece of hardware.  This
is especially important for people with winmodems as being able to
quickly detect and find drivers for winmodems at the Installfest is
critical for a stress free day.

I'd like people to download the shell script at
http://www.wlug.org.nz/~perry/pci/pci.sh and run it, check your hardware
and make sure it's known about in hardware database, and write down any
notes that you may have about it (especially things like if you had to
download 3rd party drivers from somewhere, or minimum required kernel
versions).  This script requires a 2.6 kernel, and for /sys to be
mounted (this should be true of any recently release distribution)

If you can't get the piece of hardware working under Linux please leave
a note to that effect so we can research it before the Installfest so we
can have an answer to your problems ready so we can spend the rest of
the day making your machine shine :)

If any hardware is not detected by the database please email me the
information about your hardware with:

( lspci -v ; sort -u /lib/modules/*/modules.pcimap ) |
  mail perry@c... -s "PCI database"

The script is a bit raw (ok, a lot raw) at the moment, I plan on tidying
it up a lot, but I'm also keen on getting information about various bits
of hardware as soon as possible so we can start researching it in
preparation for the Installfest.  If you have suggestions, comments or
even mild thoughts please email me (perry@c...) with them and I'll
try and incorporate them into the programs before the Installfest.