University Crest

[wlug] Patents

Martin Bähr mbaehr@e...
Mon Apr 11 05:49:43 NZST 2005

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:17:52PM +1200, Lindsay wrote:
> The only way to fight back against these software patent advocates is
> to think up idea's, get together with friends and supporters and
> patent all your idea's.   That way, when these multinational rat-bags
> go to patent an idea - you've already done it.

to late. all the needed ideas ARE ALREADY PATENTED.

i don't know about the state in NZ, but in europe (despite
softwarepatents not being legal) and the US and many other places all
those patents are gone.

software always operates on a global level, so even if you have a patent
in NZ, you will loose everywhere else outside NZ.

and the most critical point:
those huge multinational companies have thousands of patents.
for every patent violation you may sue them for, they can sue you
hundredfold for violating their patents.

you only stand any chance if you do not develop any software at all, but
that would be rather boring and may allow you to survive but not help
softwaredevelopment at all.

lets forget trying to outsmart the system, we need to change it.

greetings, martin.
--
cooperative communication with sTeam      -     caudium, pike, roxen and unix
offering: programming, training and administration   -  anywhere in the world