University Crest

[wlug] DHBs to test open source alternative to Windows and Office

David Hallett david@p...
Mon Apr 11 11:37:41 NZST 2005

At 11:31 11/04/2005, you wrote:
> > As long as this doesn't make the linux desktop users feel 'second
> > class' or give the impression of 'using cheaper inferior software'
> > then this seems like a smart move. $20million in saved licensing
> > could pay for a lot of new hardware, or custom software development...
>
>I bought this up with Daniel after the $10million school issue.  I said
>"wouldn't $10 million be better spent on development of software?"  He
>reminded me that the last time the government tried this it was called
>INCIS, and they weren't likely to be too keen on doing it again.

I can suggest much better software development 'partners' than IBM NZ's
Global Services division.
If you are in central or local government and subscribed to this list,
please email me off-list for my suggestions.

David