University Crest

[wlug] DHBs to test open source alternative to Windows and Office

Lindsay Druett lindsayd@w...
Wed Apr 13 11:19:17 NZST 2005

Andrew Thrift wrote:

>>From what I understand INCIS was a failure due to poor project
>management and "Scope Creep", INCIS is also not the first failure the
>government has produced and will not be the last.
>Several studies also firmly pointed the blame finger back at the
>government on it.
>

>>I can suggest much better software development 'partners' than IBM
>>NZ's Global Services division.
>>If you are in central or local government and subscribed to this list,
>>please email me off-list for my suggestions.
>>
>>David

I agree with Andrew totally, but having the media pointing out and
publicsing IT disasters, such as the INCIS project, it's not all that
bad, and lets face it, the media are not really interested in success
stories.

Personally, IBM doesn't feature to me in the same light as Microsoft,
Telecom, or TelstraClear.

The reality is that if you're not partnered with a large IT Integrator
such as Datacraft, IBM, HP, then you won't get a look in with a govt
organisation, simply because of ongoing support, liabilities, etc, etc.
One of the regional councils in BOP had learnt that the hard way, when
the owner of the company that did their entire database system topped
himself, fortunately, they were able to employ his key staff member (I
gather that he was about to piss off to the UK).