University Crest

[wlug] logger

James Clark jamesc@b...
Tue Apr 19 17:32:46 NZST 2005

This isn't new to me, but maybe someone might think "hey that's just
what I wanted", since it's a slow day on yon list.

If your running an application and want to capture the output to a system
log file, you can use logger.

Instead of explain it in too much depth, try the below while tail -f'ing
/var/log/daemon.log.

  echo test | logger -p daemon.info -t \[test\]

You'll now have an idea of what it does and why you might like to use it,
of course you can do more so you can always rtfm @ `man logger`.

Cheers,
James.