University Crest

[wlug] Intro and ISPs

Ian Swainson ian.swainson@g...
Wed Apr 20 08:47:38 NZST 2005

Mornin All,

Just arrived in NZ from (not so) sunny Ireland, recently joined your
esteemed mailing list, looking forward to catching up with some of you
in person at the next installfest. Please be gentle with me...

As I've just arrived, I'm looking for a nice Linux-friendly ISP to
give my hard-earned cash to - any recommendations would be gratefully
received. Google is usually my friend, but NZ certainly has a lot more
choice than Ireland. In Ireland many of the ISPs are free, and make
their money from the phone-calls. They all seem to need registration
here - is that the case?

In relation to above, does anyone know if this USB Modem will play
with Linux nicely?

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42656b330da56e082740c0a87f99070a/Product/View/XH1147

...I note that it has a Conexant chipset, which reeks of WinModem
nastiness. I need the modem for a lappy, so can't go the internal
route. Feedback delightfully received. I have had some success with
WinModems on Linux, the drivers certainly have come a long way. Not
sure about this one tho.

Anyhoo, let the flaming begin (although surely ye can't be as bad as
the ILUG...:) )

Cheers,
ian

--
"Turn off the lights and I'll glow."
-Implausible Claims Made by Vanilla Ice in "Ice Ice Baby."