University Crest

[wlug] Intro and ISPs

Craig Box craig@d...
Wed Apr 20 09:12:54 NZST 2005

> As I've just arrived, I'm looking for a nice Linux-friendly ISP to
> give my hard-earned cash to - any recommendations would be gratefully
> received. Google is usually my friend, but NZ certainly has a lot more
> choice than Ireland. In Ireland many of the ISPs are free, and make
> their money from the phone-calls. They all seem to need registration
> here - is that the case?

We used to have that - see http://www.wlug.org.nz/ZFree for a brief rundown.
Don't any more.

> In relation to above, does anyone know if this USB Modem will play
> with Linux nicely?

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42656b330da56e082740c0a87f99070a
/Product/View/XH1147

Pass, but...

> ...I note that it has a Conexant chipset, which reeks of WinModem
> nastiness. I need the modem for a lappy, so can't go the internal
> route. Feedback delightfully received. I have had some success with
> WinModems on Linux, the drivers certainly have come a long way. Not
> sure about this one tho.

Don't go dialup.  Ever.  ADSL is the right answer.  No matter what the
question is! :)

I know there are drivers for the Conexant ADSL USB modems -
http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/42656b330da56e082740c0a87f99070a
/Product/View/XH1172 - see http://sourceforge.net/projects/accessrunner/ for
them.

Craig