University Crest

[wlug] Microsoft announces support for Linux!

Bnonn bnonn@o...
Thu Apr 21 11:17:57 NZST 2005

> http://news.com.com/Microsofts+Ballmer+grins+and+bears+Linux--a+little/2100-7344_3-5678221.html?part=rss&tag=5678221&subj=news

 From the article:

> Using MOM to oversee the Solaris box occurred via the WS-Management Web services standard, meaning that no special software was needed for the management program to identify the Windows machine. A reverse demonstration could also have been done. "Just as easily, Solaris could manage a Windows box using the same protocol," said Bob Kelly, Microsoft's general manager of infrastructure server marketing.

I don't know much about this technology, but the first thing that comes
to mind is, damn, that's pretty cool. What are other people's thoughts
on this? I can't really see how this is a bad thing. Better
interoperation between MS and open source software is surely a bonus to
both sides?