University Crest

[wlug] Microsoft announces support for Linux!

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Thu Apr 21 13:11:55 NZST 2005

This article is talking about a corporate infrastructure management
application.  Something that IT departments use to monitor their servers
and desktops with.  It also briefly mentions their server vitalisation
software.  I'm guessing it is a decedent of VirtualPC.  Something they
picked up when they bought Connectix a while back.

Microsoft is basically just bowing to pressure from their customers.
More and more of their customers are installing Linux systems because
they make sense.  And if MS didn't provide support then these customers
would just switch to using alternatives such as VMWare and HP OpenView.

Trust me when I say there is no love for Linux in Microsoft.  They will
only support it when forced.  Linux and OpenSource is their biggest
strategic threat.

Regards

On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 11:17 +1200, Bnonn wrote:
> > http://news.com.com/Microsofts+Ballmer+grins+and+bears+Linux--a+little/2100-7344_3-5678221.html?part=rss&tag=5678221&subj=news
>
>  From the article:
>
> > Using MOM to oversee the Solaris box occurred via the WS-Management Web services standard, meaning that no special software was needed for the management program to identify the Windows machine. A reverse demonstration could also have been done. "Just as easily, Solaris could manage a Windows box using the same protocol," said Bob Kelly, Microsoft's general manager of infrastructure server marketing.
>
> I don't know much about this technology, but the first thing that comes
> to mind is, damn, that's pretty cool. What are other people's thoughts
> on this? I can't really see how this is a bad thing. Better
> interoperation between MS and open source software is surely a bonus to
> both sides?

                   Oliver Jones » Roving Code Warrior