University Crest

[wlug] default distro

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Mon Apr 25 00:07:16 NZST 2005

Most people point out the benefits of apt when they talk about Debian.
May I point out that Fedora by default now uses yum which is very
similar to apt for package management.  You can also install apt if you
like.  I use apt and synaptic for my own package management on Fedora
Core 3.

I think what most people mean when they refer to apt is actually the
Debian package repository (that apt accesses).  Debian has one of the
largest community driven package repositories out there.  Frickin huge.
There is currently no central official Fedora repository like this.
There are a number of very good 3rd party ones.  Probably the largest
would be the Dag Weirs, Freshrpms, NewRPMS, combo.  Hopefully soon to be
collectively known as RPMForge.  But these repositories still pale in
comparison to Debian's.  Also in the Fedora world you have to pick your
repositories carefully.  There are others out there but often they are
not compatible with each other because they duplicate packages and do
things "differently".

Still, these repos cover 99% of what I need on my FC3 Laptop.

Also, please note that Ubuntu != Debian.  You can not insstall Debian
packages on Ubuntu.  You have to use Ubuntu's package repository.
Fortunately they appear to have mirrored and rebuilt most (if not all)
of the Debian universe.

Regards

--
                   Oliver Jones » Roving Code Warrior