University Crest

[wlug] default distro

Michael Honeyfield mike.honeyfield@x...
Mon Apr 25 10:52:00 NZST 2005

James Clark wrote:

>On Sun, Apr 24, 2005 at 08:56:16PM +1200, Kyle Carter wrote:
>

>>you will love Ubuntu, trust me.. Ive been a redhat / fedora fan for ages,
>>but moved one of my servers to ubuntu..
>>

>Ubuntu - desktop
>Debian - server or desktop
>
>Debian upgrades very nicely, I've never used Redhat and don't intend to
>until I hear that "dependancy hell" has been resolved.

The so called dependancy hell is not really there at all....
YUM/smart/apt provide the same dependecy resolution as you would find in
debian.

The dependancy hell problems come to light with 3rd party apt/YUM repos,
Fedora extras should help fix that once its been completed, but this is
no different to 3rd debian repos that people setup and poorly build.

Mike