University Crest

Debian's pace & dependency resolution (was Re: [wlug] default distro)

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Mon Apr 25 18:23:24 NZST 2005

> Since RH7-ish, Red Hat has had 'up2date', a wrapper around rpm in a
> similar vein to apt-get being a wrapper around dpkg.  yum came from
> Yellow Dog Linux, a PPC fork of Red Hat, and when it became better/more
> popular and RH made RHN a paying customers only thing, yum was imported
> into Fedora and up2date does its updates off yum servers.

Or more correctly up2date's "back-end" was modularised.  For RHEL it
still uses XML-RPC etc to talk to RHN.  For those with FC it can use
yum, apt, (or something else you invent, it is written in python after
all).

I would imagine it wouldn't be hard to add a Red-Carpet back-end to
up2date.  Personally on FC I prefer to use apt but only because you can
use Synaptic and a lot of repositories prefer to go the apt way rather
than yum.

> We had huge problems with FC1 at last years installfest, in that yum
> downloaded a single .hdr file for each package in the respository.
> While very small, each file was overhead and the process was tedious.
> yum 2.2 addresses this by having a single packages archive file which
> you download, similar to Debian's Packages.gz file.

That was indeed a nice upgrade to yum.

For those who don't like to compete you can always give Smart a go.  it
is a "grand unification project" for package management.  It can install
rpm, deb, Slackware tgz, and has a nice GUI.  Or so I hear.  I've not
used it. :)

                   Oliver Jones » Roving Code Warrior