University Crest

[wlug] /etc

Bnonn bnonn@o...
Tue Apr 26 12:11:28 NZST 2005

James Clark wrote:
> http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules.php?name=Tutorial&pageid=9
>
> Might have some info.

 From the article:

"The /etc directory contains files and programs that are used for system
configuration. Its name comes from the common abbreviation etc., for et
cetera, meaning "and so on." This seems to come from the fact that on
many systems, /etc contains files that don't seem to fit elsewhere."

Seems a bit of a weird justification to me; all the files in /etc seem
to fit there in my opinion, and it would probably be more logically
called /config, but then I imagine it's been around for longer than I
have, and its purpose may well have evolved?