University Crest

[wlug] /etc

Perry Lorier perry@c...
Tue Apr 26 13:00:28 NZST 2005

Bnonn wrote:
> James Clark wrote:
>
>> http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules.php?name=Tutorial&pageid=9
>>
>> Might have some info.
>

>  From the article:
>
> "The /etc directory contains files and programs that are used for system
> configuration. Its name comes from the common abbreviation etc., for et
> cetera, meaning "and so on." This seems to come from the fact that on
> many systems, /etc contains files that don't seem to fit elsewhere."
>
> Seems a bit of a weird justification to me; all the files in /etc seem
> to fit there in my opinion, and it would probably be more logically
> called /config, but then I imagine it's been around for longer than I
> have, and its purpose may well have evolved?

Before linux came along, /etc was just a dumping ground for random crud.
   init and getty and related services lived in /etc, there was no /boot
directory so a lot of the crud in /boot ended up in /etc.  So when the
Linux FileSystem Standard (now Linux Standard Base) was first written,
they mandated /boot, /root, /sbin etc to get the crap out of /etc so
that /etc would just have configuration files in it.

ref:
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/fsstnd/old/fsstnd-1.0/fsstnd-1.0.txt.gz