University Crest

[wlug] default distro

Denise Bates dbates@i...
Tue Apr 26 21:01:58 NZST 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 23:45, Oliver Jones wrote:

> I agree entirely.  The great thing about Debian is the project not the
> tools or the package format.  The tools are just the enablers for end
> users.  The last thing I want is for Debian to go away (even as a Fedora
> Core user).  What I want is my distro of choice (Fedora) to get as good
> as Debian in the package repository and package building areas (we
> already have the user end package management tools thanks to Debian ;).

I suppose that I should start by making the almost-obligatory declaration that
I do not wish to start (or continue) a distro-war.......<g>

I am puzzled by this debate. Why is package management such an issue? In my
preferred distro (Slackware) installation and/or upgrading seems, for the
most part, to "just happen". I seem to have remarkably few problems, and
"dependency hell" is becoming a distant memory. I use "slackpkg" to upgrade,
and it is simply a matter of entering a minimal amount of text, and walking
away for some time (I have a 56k dial-in connection).

It isn't that I am expecting very little from my computers: I run the almost
all the usual stuff - Open Office, various graphics packages,
email/web-browsing, programming tools, MP3/DVD players plus three packages
which have been, in one way or another, quite problematic on other distros
from time to time. These packages are: GRASS, R, and LyX. All three work
perfectly on my slack-boxes.

Am I missing something?

regards,
Dr Denise J. Bates,
School of Geography & Environmental Science
University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019, Auckland New Zealand
E-mail: d.bates@a...
Telephone 09-3737599 ext 86592