University Crest

[wlug] Resetting the preferrred browser in KDE/Debian

Glenn Ramsey glenn@c...
Wed Apr 27 11:46:33 NZST 2005

I am running Debian/Testing with KDE and I mostly use firefox for web
browsing. Somehow (ok, really because I fiddled with the config) it has
become the default browser and I can't figure out how to change it back.

This is annoying because In KDE you can choose "run command" from the
start menu and enter "#commandname" to get a nicely formatted man page.
On my system only konqueror understands this but currently it tries to
start firefox which reports that it doesn't understand the man: protocol.

update-alternatives says this:

pixie:~# update-alternatives --display x-www-browser
x-www-browser - status is auto.
  link currently points to /usr/bin/konqueror
/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox - priority 70
  slave x-www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/mozilla-firefox.1.gz
/usr/bin/mozilla - priority 80
  slave x-www-browser.1.gz: /usr/share/man/man1/mozilla.1.gz
/usr/bin/konqueror - priority 100
Current `best' version is /usr/bin/konqueror.

pixie:~# update-alternatives --list x-www-browser
/usr/bin/mozilla-firefox
/usr/bin/mozilla
/usr/bin/konqueror

pixie:/etc/alternatives# ls -l x-www-browser
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           18 Apr 27 11:09 x-www-browser ->
/usr/bin/konqueror

Does anyone know where/how to reset this?

Alternatively is there an easy way to just reset KDE to all have
everything back to the default?

Would it be unwise to delete or rename my .kde directory and have it
recreate it?

Glenn

--
Glenn Ramsey <glenn@c...> 07 8627077