University Crest

[wlug] default distro

Oliver Jones oliver@d...
Wed Apr 27 15:00:08 NZST 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 21:16 +0200, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
> * Oliver Jones <oliver@d...> [2005-04-26 12:35]:
> > No nifty tools to upgrade versions or patch bugs.  You could
> > run the setup tools and install something still on the CD but
> > that was about it.
>
> curl ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current/ChangeLog.txt
> man upgradepkg

Sure, now there are tools.  I'm not so sure abouts 9 years ago though.

> In short, you can very well do without any dependency management,
> without a large package repository, building stuff from source,
> and you can still have package management, and get all the
> vital benefits, though not all the convenience.

Sure.  And distros like gentoo are entirely source based and have great
tools to facilitate building & upgrading etc.  I wasn't talking about
today.  I was talking about the past where these tools didn't exist or
were not as well known.   Also, I was a newbie back then and have much
to learn about Linux.  Installing and running Linux is a very different
experience these days.  Much more newbie friendly.

                   Oliver Jones » Roving Code Warrior