University Crest

[wlug] Installfest roundup

Craig Box craig@d...
Sun May 8 18:11:41 NZST 2005

Hi everyone,

Thanks to everyone who made the WLUG Installfest for 2005 a huge
success.

We had around 60 people attend, with about 40 maximum at any one time;
slightly more than last year.

Thanks to our sponsors:

  * CrawshawSchool, for the venue
      * DSE, for donating CDs, power cables and Cat5 patch cables
      * AlliedTelesyn, for the loan of network equipment
      * O'Reilly, for giveaway and new library books.

Thanks also to all the committee members and helpers who gave a lot of
time and energy into getting Linux going.

Twelve people took advantage of our half price membership at the
installfest offer and joined WLUG.

We hope you're really pleased with Ubuntu as a distribution; I'm really
pleased that we got it running perfectly on nearly all PCs, including
two that were having serious problems with Mandrake and SUSE. [1]

The network was really great. We had no major problems on the day, and
we cached all the updates beforehand so that people didn't have to wait
around.  We did about 2gb of traffic, but about 80% of that came out of
the cache, so we only actually downloaded 400mb of data (most of which
will be the updates for the two AMD64 machines that we didn't have
updates cached for).

If anyone has any feedback (especially new people who are on the list
now) please feel free to post it here.

Photo galleries are linked from the
http://www.wlug.org.nz/InstallFest.2005-05-07 page.

Craig

[1] To my knowledge, there were only two PCs that didn't leave with
Ubuntu correctly set up on them. One was a very new tablet PC that
couldn't boot off an external CD-ROM drive.  We got the Ubuntu
netinstaller and made it boot that, but the hard drive resizing facility
in the installer didn't want to resize the hard drive.  The other
machine was a very old laptop that had a hardware fault of some sort.