University Crest

[wlug] Internet Banking using Ubuntu and Firefox

Justin Hyde ajh28@w...
Mon May 9 13:22:10 NZST 2005

Hi

After installing Ubuntu on the weekend at the install fest, I tried accessing my internet banking service with HSBC.

I got an error message saying that I should use IE or Netscape.  I contacted the bank this morning and received the reply below.

Could someone using Ubuntu and Firefox check whether they can access https://ebank.hsbc.co.nz to see if its just my computer or a general problem.

Could someone recommend a way of getting around the customer services people at the bank and through to the IT guys?

As an aside, I could access this banking service using Firefox on my WINXP setup.

Cheers
Justin Hyde

Dear Andrew,

RE: HSBC Internet Access

We thank you for your email.

Please be advised to access the HSBC Internet Banking you will need to use one
of the following:

Web Browser Version

PC's
Internet Explorer 5.5 and 6.0
Netscape Navigator 7.0

MAC's
Internet Explorer 5.1.7 for Mac OS 8.1.9.x
Internet Explorer 5.2.3 for Mac OS X

We apologise for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

If you require further assistance please call our Direct Service Centre 24
hours a day, 7 days a week on 0800802380 (within New Zealand) or 09 3660366
(from overseas).

Kind regards,

Tatiana Mendoza
Customer Service Consultant