University Crest

[wlug] Internet Banking using Ubuntu and Firefox

Matt Brown matt@m...
Mon May 9 13:30:23 NZST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 13:22 +1200, Justin Hyde wrote:
> Hi
>
> After installing Ubuntu on the weekend at the install fest, I tried
> accessing my internet banking service with HSBC.
>
> I got an error message saying that I should use IE or Netscape.  I
> contacted the bank this morning and received the reply below.
>
> Could someone using Ubuntu and Firefox check whether they can access
> https://ebank.hsbc.co.nz to see if its just my computer or a general
> problem.

Assuming you meant https://www.ebank.hsbc.co.nz/ then yes, I too get an
error message.

> Could someone recommend a way of getting around the customer services
> people at the bank and through to the IT guys?

The only way I can think of is to ask the customer services people. I
find email often works better than phone for these sort of problems.

> As an aside, I could access this banking service using Firefox on my
> WINXP setup.

Now this is strange. What version or Firefox were you using under WinXP?
They are most probably doing their browser detection using the UserAgent
string that your browser supplies which I would have thought would have
been fairly similar between Linux and Windows. Perhaps not...

You could try going to http://www.showmyip.com/ in both Windows and
Linux, and recording the Browser (UserAgent) string it reports, I'd be
interested in seeing how they differ.

Matt Brown
matt@m...
Mob +64 275 611 544 www.mattb.net.nz