University Crest

[wlug] Internet Banking using Ubuntu and Firefox

James Clark jamesc@b...
Mon May 9 14:05:10 NZST 2005

On Mon, May 09, 2005 at 01:54:50PM +1200, Daniel Lawson wrote:
> >yes, it should be https://www.ebank.hsbc.co.nz/
> >
> >WINXP browser = Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.7.6)
> >Gecko/20050321 Firefox/1.0.2
>
> As a workaround, you can install a UserAgent Switcher extension for
> firefox, which will let you change firefox's useragent on the fly. I set
> it back to Netscape 4.8, and can see the login scree on HSBC's website.

This sort of workaround is only a good thing while trying to get the
problem solved so you can do what you need to do.  Long term, when the
site operators check their stats for their site they obliviously say
"see, everyone's using browser X", which is bad.

Any website which requires a specific browser is bad, but we all know
that anyway.

Here's a good a snipet from http://www.dillo.org/help/bug_meter.html
--
  Making your sites standards-compliant will help ensure every browser,
  old and new, will be able to present the sites properly, and also that

  The universality and interoperability of the WEB is one of the
  biggest assets of mankind today. Liberty of expression and freedom of
  information have found their new home inside the fertile WEB space.

  If you let a single corporation or entity the power to control the
  Internet's protocols, they would be able to control the WEB just as
  much as the mass-media.

  Please don't let that happen.
--

James.