University Crest

[wlug] High speed internet ADSL

zcat zcat@m...
Tue May 10 16:56:28 NZST 2005

Ron Dean wrote:
> ADSL USB Modem (DSL-200) Ihug are offering 256k with a 4gig limit
> If you go over the limit it defaults to 64k
>
> Does anybody have experience with this modem with Ubuntu.
> Because I have a monitored home alarm and the phone line carries data
> their installation cost is $148 including modem and wiring installation
> this month only.

I would advise you to go with an ethernet modem and network card (Such
as the DSL-302g) rather than a USB-only modem which the DSL-200 appears
to be.

Also wiring for a monitored alarm is not too difficult to do yourself,
I've done it three times already and I think I'm going to have to write
up a "howto" on it. Basically you use one filter at the 'demarcation
point' (where your alarm connects to telecom's phone line) - connect the
alarm to the 'phone' side of the filter and the dsl modem to the 'dsl'
side. You won't be able to plug the DSL modem into any other socket, and
you won't need any other filters in the house.

It's also a good idea to let your alarm company know beforehand (the
alarm will report tampering on the phone line) and call them again
afterwards so they can make sure the alarm still calls out correctly.