University Crest

[wlug] Linux hardware

Daniel Lawson daniel@m...
Wed May 11 08:46:02 NZST 2005

>like the list's advice on what sort of mainboard is best to pair this
>with; or, rather, what sort of mainboard I definitely shouldn't pair it
>with. I'm running Ubuntu, and I know its hardware support is pretty
>good, but any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

The biggest issue with linux compatability is usually with the onboard
peripherals, such as audio, network, IDE/SATA controllers. If you're
going for an Athlon 2400, you can look at older revision motherboards,
so save a lot of the hassle you might find if you were getting the
newest Nforce4 board.

If you're getting SATA, check the status of SATA support for the
controller (http://linux.yyz.us/sata/). If you're wanting to do SATA
RAID especially, check that page out - a lot of the SATA RAID
controllers embedded on motherboards are fakeraid only, and so only work
with binary drivers (or not at all in Linux). They'll almost all still
work as basic SATA controllers though.

I've used gigabyte boards in the past, and currently have a soltek board
I'm quite happy with. Gigabyte boards used to have a tendency to blow
capacitors, but the 2 year warranty means you've got a good chance of
getting it fixed anyway :)