University Crest

[wlug] Thunderbird inbox

Ian McDonald imcdnzl@g...
Wed May 11 15:25:57 NZST 2005

On 11/05/05, Gun Caundle <gun@p...> wrote:
> On a notebook with XP, Thunderbird started taking a long time to load.
> The 'total' for the inbox in the bottom right corner showed '5863' but
> only the received mail (81 messages)showed in the right pane.  The
> 'total' would then increase by 50 or so intermittently and is now up to
> '6124'
> Anyone able to shed some light on this occurrence?
> --
My main comment is how much memory does this XP box have as it sounds
like Thunderbird is struggling with the size of it - that is a lot of
messages!! If you had less than 512 MB and other programs are running
then I guess it would struggle - you could notice this by task manager
(press Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring it up and select from there) or you might
here your disk doing lots of activity as it swaps memory out to disk.

Another thing - I presume it is on fast link?? If not e.g. modem,
retail ADSL then it will take ages to download that many.

Ian