University Crest

[wlug] Linux hardware

David Hallett david@p...
Wed May 11 18:17:48 NZST 2005

At 17:55 11/05/2005, Shane Taylor wrote:
>>I'm quite happy with. Gigabyte boards used to have a tendency to blow
>>capacitors, but the 2 year warranty means you've got a good chance of
>>getting it fixed anyway :)
>
>That was due to the manufacturer of the resistors using a cheaper (and
>apparently stolen) process/recipe for the goop in their resistors. Can't
>remember the exact details now as I have problems remembering what I had
>for lunch yesterday let alone something 3 years old.

Daniel was correct when referring to the capacitors. The problem that
occurred starting in late 2001 is well documented.
IBM was the first major PC maker and ABIT was the first motherboard
manufacturer to publicly state that their products were affected by the
rogue capacitors.

The IEEE have a good write-up called "Leaking Capacitors Muck up
Motherboards" at http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html
Excerpt: It has all the elements of a good thriller: a stolen secret
formula, bungled corporate espionage, untraceable goods, and lone wolves
saving the little guy from the misdeeds of multinational corporations. In
this case, a mistake in the stolen formulation of the electrolyte in a
capacitor has wrecked hundreds of PCs and may wreck still more in what is
an industry wide problem.

David