University Crest

[wlug] Re: Software Patents

David Bowen lilypatc@i...
Sat May 21 19:29:39 NZST 2005

Hi all

As a suggestion, suggest asking  Nandor Tanczos visit a few sites like
   http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/index.html
were the mplayer project foresees having to shut down if the EU adopts
the software patent laws.

By the way there is a petition to the EU at this page, mainly intended
for within the EU but they do appreciate support from elsewhere in the
world too.

There is also a page explaining why software patents are a bad idea.   http://lpf.ai.mit.edu/Patents/industry-at-risk.html

and here

http://swpat.ffii.org/

and here

http://www.nosoftwarepatents.com/en/m/intro/index.html

At least when he gets to a meeting he will have some idea of the issues.

As I work evenings I won't have a chance to attend the meeting.
Oh well back to a day job in August :-)

Regards David