University Crest

[wlug] Visio equivalent for Linux

sam@m... sam@m...
Fri Nov 4 00:49:54 NZDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 12:11 +1300, Ian McDonald wrote:
> Folks,
>
> What do people use mainly?

dia
xfig
inkscape

In a semi-order-of-preference.

I figure you are asking this because you want to draw diagrams in
technical papers/presentations.

I think the answer is "there is nothing good". I am, and have been,
doing the same and have made do with the tools above, but I really feel
like this is an area that is lacking in Linux.

Dia is very good if what you want actually fits within its bounds; what
it does it does well, but what it does is quite limited.

xfig is old, ugly, hard to use, but powerful enough and includes lots of
necessary features. It is quite capable as a vector editor program.

inkscape is newer and pretty, and I've just been using it myself now
with a reasonable amount of success. It aims to be something like Corel
Draw or similar. It is far behind its commercial counterparts in the
Windows world, but is at a stage now where it is quite usable.

All of these programs export to EPS.

Never used kivio (not a KDE person), so I can't comment on that. There
are a few other programs you might look at:

There is also Sodipodi, which I believe is a fork of Inkscape.

I always idly hope that there is some great diagramming and vector
drawing program in Linux that I have somehow missed all this time, but
so far I have been disappointed.

> I was going to use Dia from Gnome but this project doesn't seem to be
> moving ahead so going to use kivio.
>
> I will update the Wiki with what I find.

I'd be interested in your findings!