University Crest

[wlug] Visio equivalent for Linux

Ian McDonald imcdnzl@g...
Fri Nov 4 16:05:41 NZDT 2005

> dia
> xfig
> inkscape
>
> In a semi-order-of-preference.
>
> I figure you are asking this because you want to draw diagrams in
> technical papers/presentations.

Yep. I'd hoped that people would have found something new since I last
asked you. Unfortunately not.

> I think the answer is "there is nothing good". I am, and have been,
> doing the same and have made do with the tools above, but I really feel
> like this is an area that is lacking in Linux.

Agree.

> Dia is very good if what you want actually fits within its bounds; what
> it does it does well, but what it does is quite limited.

I used this in the end as I had a very simple diagram.

> inkscape is newer and pretty, and I've just been using it myself now
> with a reasonable amount of success. It aims to be something like Corel
> Draw or similar. It is far behind its commercial counterparts in the
> Windows world, but is at a stage now where it is quite usable.

Didn't like this so much as I couldn't immediately see stencil support
and moving objects around with keeping links.

> All of these programs export to EPS.

Worked great in dia.

> Never used kivio (not a KDE person), so I can't comment on that. There
> are a few other programs you might look at:

KDE programs work fine in Gnome... tried this as well in my hunt and
it looked OK but I found the picture I liked in dia so just used
that..

> I always idly hope that there is some great diagramming and vector
> drawing program in Linux that I have somehow missed all this time, but
> so far I have been disappointed.

Me too.

> > I will update the Wiki with what I find.
> >

> I'd be interested in your findings!

Not much I am afraid!

Ian
--