University Crest

[wlug] Totem Music Player

John R. McPherson jrm21@c...
Tue Nov 8 07:36:43 NZDT 2005

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 11:58:24PM +1300, Kyle Carter wrote:
> Try playing them as root.. Ive seen messages about being unable to play
> sound or video in 'realtime' unless you have root access to the hardware..
> Worth a try.. But something to do with software rendering and unable to use
> hardware features unless root access to the hardware?

That message you see about "permission denied" might be mplayer
trying to adjust the 'real time clock' so it can get interrupts on
a microsecond basis instead of a millisecond basis, or something :)

I added
echo 2048 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq
into one of my system startup scripts. I think the default maximum
frequency is 1024, and mplayer wants a higher frequency and isn't
allowed to change it past that.

Of course, maybe you were seeing a completely different error message
to me....

John