University Crest

[wlug] Totem Music Player

Kyle Carter kyle@f...
Tue Nov 8 20:23:51 NZDT 2005

Nah, I probably see the same error.. Doesn't seem to make any difference
though

The biggest problem I have is when exiting video playback on my mythtv
machine it takes like 2 or 3 seconds of looping audio buffers.. Its
annoying.. But I still havent been annoyed enough to work out why and how to
fix it.

-----Original Message-----
From: John R. McPherson [mailto:jrm21@c...]
Sent: Tuesday, 8 November 2005 7:37 a.m.
To: Waikato Linux Users Group
Cc: tealsky@b...
Subject: Re: [wlug] Totem Music Player

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 11:58:24PM +1300, Kyle Carter wrote:
> Try playing them as root.. Ive seen messages about being unable to
> play sound or video in 'realtime' unless you have root access to the
hardware..
> Worth a try.. But something to do with software rendering and unable
> to use hardware features unless root access to the hardware?

That message you see about "permission denied" might be mplayer trying to
adjust the 'real time clock' so it can get interrupts on a microsecond basis
instead of a millisecond basis, or something :)

I added
echo 2048 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq into one of my system startup
scripts. I think the default maximum frequency is 1024, and mplayer wants a
higher frequency and isn't allowed to change it past that.

Of course, maybe you were seeing a completely different error message to
me....

John