University Crest

[wlug] D-Link DSL-302G modem queries

Leslie Katz lesliek@o...
Thu Nov 10 18:07:17 NZDT 2005

I use the above modem, connected to my Ethernet port, with Fedora
Core 3, kernel version 2.6.12-1.1378.

I wanted to try out an application called Qnext, which is, among
other things, a videoconferencing application. However, it insisted
that the ports it required on my machine for incoming communications
were not accesible by external contacts.

Looking for the reason why that was, I found at the Australian D-Link
site information about opening ports in the modem and realised that
that was my problem. The D-Link information was for Windows only, so
I looked on the Web to try to find information applicable to Linux.
That led me to the WLUG Wiki page on the DSL-302G. That page contains
the fullest information available on the topic, at least according to
my Google searches

I'm posting this because I'm hopeful that a subscriber to the list
has followed the instructions on the Wiki page successfully to open a
port. Unfortunately, I haven't even been able to take the first step,
accessing the modem's internal web server.

My Linux browser is Firefox. When I ask it to go to 10.1.1.1, I'm
prompted for the user name and password and I give those and press
Enter. Then, the browser says that it's waiting for 10.1.1.1 and
never connects.

My computer is dual-booting and my Windows browser is Firefox too. I
tried to access 10.1.1.1 with it and had exactly the same result. I
also have Internet Explorer and when I go through the same routine
with it, I get the modem's internal web server instantaneously.

Here are my questions:

1. Is there some thing I should be doing to access the server in Linux Firefox?

2. If I can't use Linux Firefox, is there some other browser anyone's
used successfully? (I tried lynx, but it wouldn't work, I suppose
because of the need for username and password. Maybe one can add
those to the lynx command string, but that's way beyond my capabilities.)

3. Finally, I don't understand the effect of changing settings on the
modem, but is it possible that changing them through Windows, which I
think I could manage, would change them for Linux too? (I don't know
how to express the idea technically correctly, but are those changes
somehow internal to the modem and independent of the operating system
used with the modem?)

If anyone can give me information on any of the above questions, I'd
be very grateful.

Leslie

PS: Ian McDonald, who kindly directed me to this list, said he
thought that there'd been some discussion on this list recently about
my modem. I searched for "302" by thread for each month for 2005, but
found nothing. Perhaps the thread didn't make reference to that
number. In any event, if you see this, Ian, I wouldn't want you to
think I didn't bother trying the archives first.