University Crest

[wlug] Installing Skype on Ubuntu [Rant]

John R. McPherson jrm21@c...
Sun Nov 13 09:52:49 NZDT 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 10:43:40PM +0200, Mathew Carley wrote:
> Today I "rescued" my laptop (temporary measure as it needs the hard disk
> replaced) by installing Ubuntu Hoary over what was SuSE 9.3.
>
> 1. Yes, I know I could get breezy. It would take <5 minutes to download on
> my connection here (Yay for 40 megabits).
> 2. SuSE 10 will be going on the new hard drive, anyway. [That DVD ISO took
> around 2 hours]
>
> Here's why I'm a bit frustrated at the moment with Ubuntu:
>
> I wanted to install Skype. Skype is a KDE app, (and it looks ugly in Gnome -
> there are workarounds, but aside from that). It requires libqt3-xxxxxxxx.
>
> Firstly, I was trying to install it from the .deb package distributed on
> skype.com <http://skype.com> (skype_1.2.0.18-1_i386).

Did you check that this package was compiled for your distribution?
Ie was that .deb for ubuntu hoary, or was it for debian sarge? .deb is
just a packaging format, it doesn't magically work on any computer that
can install .deb files, just like you can't assume a Red hat .rpm will
work on mandriva.

(As for the rest of it, you don't need to manually download and install
.deb files, and if you do you should make sure that it's for your
current version of your installed distribution).

John