University Crest

[wlug] Installing Skype on Ubuntu [Rant]

zcat zcat@m...
Sun Nov 13 10:46:38 NZDT 2005

> Here's why I'm a bit frustrated at the moment with Ubuntu:

Perhaps you should be frustrated with Skype for not making their code
more portable.

I downloaded the gizmo packages which are supposed to be for Debian and
had no trouble installing them into Ubuntu. Gizmo is a VoIP program
quite similar to Skype, but based on the SIP protocol (open standard)
and from what I've been hearing it has more features and better audio
quality than Skype anyhow.

Perhaps you should give Gizmo a try?