University Crest

[wlug] wlug Digest, Vol 173, Issue 12

Mathew Carley mathewc@h...
Sun Nov 13 22:03:17 NZDT 2005

>Did you check that this package was compiled for your distribution?
>Ie was that .deb for ubuntu hoary, or was it for debian sarge? .deb is
>just a packaging format, it doesn't magically work on any computer that
>can install .deb files, just like you can't assume a Red hat .rpm will
>work on mandriva.

See http://www.skype.com/products/skype/linux/
Debian package <http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-deb> (7.7 MB)
Xandros, MEPIS, Ubuntu, other Debian-based distros
Apparantely it was. Whether or not "Debian-based distros" is accurate is up
to the development team.

After reading a bit, I downloaded a version from
ubuntuforums.org<http://ubuntuforums.org>that someone had re-compiled
to work "correctly" with Ubuntu - which still
didn't seem to work.

>What provider offers 40mbit connection(s) in NZ ? Seems a rather odd
>shape for bandwidth allocation.

1. No bandwidth provider offers 40mbit connections in New Zealand. I am
currently living in Finland.
2. Yes, you are correct, it is unusual. I think it's actually rated at
48Mbits, but I typically get around 4000 *kilobytes* per second in actual
download speed (total).

I posted a screenshot of my downloading of the Breezy ISO from Denmark (not
using a download manager other than the one that comes with firefox). The
file came in at a measly average of 2950 kilobytes per second. (I have also
used Ibiblio.org <http://Ibiblio.org> and got similar speeds).

The screenshot is at http://www.mathew-carley.com/images/screenshot.png.

>Sometimes Debian packages will work on Ubuntu, but that is only
>coincidence.

>If a package doesn?t work because it was made for Debian, not
>Ubuntu, don?t even dream of installing other Debian packages to
>make it run. You?ll tear up your system, but you won?t achieve a
>working install.

I figured that I was having a problem such as this, but wanted to see how
far I could take it and if I could actually get it to work. I can load up
skype and see my buddy list, but if I want to use voice or even text chat?
Forgetaboutit!

Mathew Carley
HostENZ Data Services
A Carley Network Media Ltd. (NZ) Company
http://www.hostenz.co.nz
mathewc@h...

Office Phone (Helsinki): +358 9 2316 3712
Cell Phone (Finland): +358 4 0816 2816
Cell Phone (France): +33 6 1811 9475
Skype: mgcarley

The information contained in this electronic mail message and any
attachments are confidential to Carley Network Media Ltd and it's
subsidiaries, and may contain proprietary information or may be
legally privileged.

See http://www.cnmltd.net/email/ for our standard email disclaimer.
Errors & Omissions Excepted.
Prices in this email do not include GST unless stated otherwise.