University Crest

[wlug] Installing Skype on Ubuntu [Rant]

Matt Brown matt@m...
Sun Nov 13 22:46:55 NZDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 22:43 +0200, Mathew Carley wrote:

> Here's why I'm a bit frustrated at the moment with Ubuntu:

I think it's a bit short sighted to blame your problems on a Ubuntu when
the problem is caused by a non-free application being distributed in
binary only form. The blame should be appropriately placed with Skype.

> I wanted to install Skype. Skype is a KDE app, (and it looks ugly in
> Gnome - there are workarounds, but aside from that). It requires
> libqt3-xxxxxxxx.
>
> Firstly, I was trying to install it from the .deb package distributed
> on skype.com (skype_1.2.0.18-1_i386).

Luckily, as fulfilling as it is to be a Free software zealot and say
it's all Skype's fault there are more pragmatic members of the community
who are happy to put time and effort into make non-free software like
Skype work seemlessly.

To get Skype working nicely on Ubuntu you need to look no further than
the Ubuntu Guide (http://ubuntuguide.org) which links to nicely
built .debs for Ubuntu that I've used successfully from Warty -> Hoary
and now for Breezy.

See specifically http://ubuntuguide.org/#skype

After reading the rest of your email and the packages you installed I'm
surprised that your box still works at all!

Matt Brown
matt@m...
Mob +64 275 611 544 www.mattb.net.nz