University Crest

[wlug] Linux for Grandmother

Mathew Carley mathewc@h...
Wed Nov 16 06:16:37 NZDT 2005

Going on from my previous post, would you all mind if I sent my
grandmother to the next installfest and/or meeting?

I threw together a SuSE 9.1 Personal system on an old box just before I
left NZ, and they took the box home from my parents place the other
day.

What they seem to use the computer for is:

Internet
Email
Office (Writer, Calc, Impress mostly). Is there a publisher equivalent
that you would recommend? I hate publisher myself, but... yeah.
Not a whole lot else.

I don't mind whether you leave SuSE on the box or if you "upgrade" it to
Breezy, I am happy to support either from the other side of the globe.

It needs to have
**A VNC server installed and configured for me to be able to do this as
well, so... yeah.
**A nice, easy, clean, pretty interface.
**I don't think it would have to be too similar to Windows 98.

Box specification is (as I said, old) Cel366/128/6GB/CD, Modem, Sound
Blaster 16... Used to be in mums shop before she upgraded.

I'm sure she wouldn't mind paying for some tuition as well, but I have
made the suggestion that she might go there.

Mathew Carley
HostENZ Data Services
A Carley Network Media Ltd. (NZ) Company
http://www.hostenz.co.nz
mathewc@h...

Office Phone (Helsinki): +358 9 2316 3712
Cell Phone (Finland): +358 4 0816 2816
Cell Phone (France): +33 6 1811 9475
Skype: mgcarley

The information contained in this electronic mail message and any
attachments are confidential to Carley Network Media Ltd and it's
subsidiaries, and may contain proprietary information or may be
legally privileged.

See http://www.cnmltd.net/email/ for our standard email disclaimer.
Errors & Omissions Excepted.
Prices in this email do not include GST unless stated otherwise.