University Crest

[wlug] hoiho moving - service disruption

Matthew Browne (DSL HN) MatthewBr@d...
Tue Nov 29 09:52:38 NZDT 2005

> From: Gavin Denby [mailto:redhat@i...]
>
> Hmm Methinks I should have a look at Orcon's plans. after all
> the best support I could give would be to use them as my ISP,
> and IHUG's recent cap reduction on my plan still sits poorly with me.

Not to belittle Orcon's support of the LUG or their great no-cap policy
but from my own experience and a group of Orcon/IHUG users I know,
Orcon's latencies are a little lacking at times compared with IHUG's.
This isn't a dig at Orcon, in fact more power to them I'd say. My
respect for them has grown too hearing they are supporting the LUG. The
truth is, most people would probably not even notice but it's better to
say it up front now rather than have those few to whom low latencies
matter switch only to have some trouble. I blame all the heavy
downloaders that love Orcon's no-cap plans personally.

One other thing worth mentioning, Orcon probably loses money on consumer
broadband as most ISPs do. If you really want to support them
financially, buy their dialup, tolls or hosting services.

Matt Browne